Thursday, March 09, 2006

Guilty Pleasures


What is a guilty pleasure? Basically, it's anything mainstream that is either really cheesy and/or somewhat embarrassing and kinda uncool that, despite your better judgement, you really like or even (secretly) love. Here is a list of some of my favorites; feel free to post some of yours in the comments section.

1. Outback Steakhouse 2.99 Chopped Salad
Crunchy bacon, lettuce, bleu cheese, little vinaigrette on the side...surprisingly good.

2.Ice Age
The little creature with the acorn -the scrat- makes me laugh every time. Can't wait for the sequel this summer.

3. The O.C.
Thanks to my wife, I'm addicted. Peter Gallagher doesn't get enough credit for the job he does...he's the glue that holds that show together.

4.Math Rock
Rush, Tool, King Crimson, Emerson, Lake and Palmer...if it has preposterous time signatures, I'm there.

5.Chewy Spree
The Mercedes of roll candy.My sweet tooth shows no sign of abating.

6.Avril Levigne-I'm With You
Yeah, it's sappy, but it's a great pop song with an excellent vocal by an underated performer.

7.Journey-Separate Ways
Steve Perry's schnozz and hideous wardrobe notwithstanding, this song and its accompanying video rule. I love when Perry crosses his wrists to symbolize the "chains that bind you."(See above)

8.The Surreal Life
The television equivalent of rubbernecking. The spectacle of people so desperately, nakedly in need of attention is oddly compelling.

That's it for now.Here are some of my wife's picks:
13 Going on 30
Wifeswap
InTouch Weekly
Cheeseburger Happy Meal
Harry Potter anything
Chick Lit (Weisberger,Bushnell,Sykes,etc.)

12 Comments:

Blogger Zach said...

Nice job!

March 09, 2006 8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget Deep Purple (har-har-har)

March 13, 2006 9:00 PM  
Blogger Zach said...

Deep Purple belongs in the "Found Guilty Pleasures."

March 13, 2006 9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha.

Okay, I'll top everything listed so far: "Beautiful" by Christina Aguillera

March 14, 2006 12:09 AM  
Blogger JohnVriess said...

1. Pro Wrestling
2. The Flavor of Love
3. VH1's I love the (insert anything here)
4. Power Rangers
5. Deal or no deal.
6. Yo-Yos
7. Guitar Hero for PS2

March 14, 2006 12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get in on the biggest guilty pleasure for all of us over the age of 25 and join myspace, Zach.

March 15, 2006 8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Zach, welcome to the world of blogging.
Here are a few of my picks:
-The obscure shows (like 'Mr. T' or 'Fonzie and the Happy Days Gang' or 'AlfTales') that are sometimes on Boomerang (a channel I wish I had myself)
-While I'm at it: ALF
-The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes and other late 60s/70s live action Disney
-Faith No More - Epic
Plus there are many embarassing music stations on Sirius that I switch away from before turning off the car just in case I get in with someone else and it turns on to that station.

best

mike streeter

March 15, 2006 9:55 PM  
Blogger Zach said...

Welcome, Mr Streeter...how did you find this?

March 15, 2006 11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i found it in the traffic report for the book site.
Everybody's blogging now - have you read Tom S.'s blog? (he never posts, though)

March 16, 2006 9:47 AM  
Blogger JohnVriess said...

Hehe ryanw, yeah myspace truly is a guilty pleasure for us adults :)

Though, I have found that it is easy to keep in touch with old schoolmates that way, which I love being able to see how they have (or haven't) changed.

March 17, 2006 12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and setting up or perusing phony celeb profiles is the second guilty myspace pleasure, jp!

March 20, 2006 9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooooo my turn:

I Love The 70's-2000's on VH1
Ghost Hunters
Reading Blogs
Dark Chocolate Ice Cream or candy bar mixed with my coffee
InStyle
Wii
Working Out
Music!!!!!

September 02, 2007 10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home