Thursday, January 18, 2007

Hate To Say I Told You So


Last year, I posted about how Crash used a brilliant marketing campaign to upend Brokeback Mountain (sorry, couldn't resist) at the SAG Awards ( you can read about it here - second post from the bottom). I speculated that once the "free copy" strategy proved effective, it would be matched ( perhaps countered is a better choice of words) by the other studios, resulting in what every Academy member wannabe (like myself) truly craves - equality and/or free stuff. So, imagine my non-surprise when I received word that I would soon find (along with 120,000 other members) freshly minted copies of The Departed, Little Miss Sunshine (above), and the Peter O'Toole gem Venus in my fetid, squeaky mailbox. In addition, I have been sent vouchers good for one admission to Babel and Dreamgirls, along with invitations to screenings of Bobby and Notes on a Scandal, none of which I have attended. My prediction: one of the three DVD films will win, forcing every studio next year to send us all shiny new discs for our rapidly burgeoning collection. Booyaa!

4 Comments:

Blogger JohnVriess said...

I don't doubt it, but Little Miss Sunshine deserves the praise, in my opinion.

Jeanne and I just rented Little Miss Sunshine Tuesday, intruiged by the film's unusually dark tone, and much of the cast. (Alan Arkin, Steve Carrell, Paul Dano)
The story really gets a myriad of emotions from the viewer, and Abigail Breslin's performance as Olive is beautifully understated.

I really wish I would have gotten wind of this film sooner, but aside from generic anonymous praise, it passed right under my radar. What did Ling and yourself think of it?

As for the rest, I have yet to see Venus or The Departed yet, and somehow I completely missed Venus. Though after looking at the synopsis, it looks worth a rental. Thanks for the tip!

I agree with you that free stuff always equals a better reception, but do you think that it is possible that it may be giving academy members (and wannabes) a chance to see a film they may have missed on its theatrical run? Or maybe a second viewing is appropriate for a refresher...

Either way, getting free DVDs and movie tickets seems like a nice thing no matter how you look at it.

JP

January 19, 2007 11:12 AM  
Blogger E. Rivera said...

I thought of your post about Crash immediately upon reading the SAG Awards website about the screeners we'll be receiving. You are right, and it is sad. I don't know if you read Entertainment Weekly but there was a great article one or two issues ago about how the earlier-scheduled award shows in the year have not made a dent in aggressive campaigning on the studios' behalf, and only made it more difficult for voters to watch all the movies they need to see. This year for the first time in awhile I am too overwhelmed to even try to make it to all the screenings. All those movies in three weeks? But oh, I have my cozy copy of The Departed sitting at home. *shakes head*

January 19, 2007 8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I would not be me if I did not say that I wish this campaign had been used in 1985 so that a certain little film you know that I cannot get enough of would have snagged a SAG and Oscar award!

As Joe Dante told me himself, you're all probably thinking the same thing---
"This guy needs to lie down!"

January 22, 2007 4:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the biggest story no one is talking about. It was only a matter of time. Whats next, a movie will offer you free dinner and a movie? How a coupon for a popcorn? When will the madness end? Come see the Departed and get a Jet Blue coupon for a free trip to Boston. Studios make 10s of millions off these awards. Producers/directors get free pass to make crap the rest of their lives and get funded.

January 23, 2007 9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home