Monday, April 24, 2006

Cloudy, Showers, Chance of Obsession

This weekend was pretty miserable. Grey skies, constant rain and unceasing gloom.Oh yeah, and the dew point was 54 degrees. How do I know that? Because all weekend long I was glued to the Weather Channel, one of my secret obsessions.
I don't know what it is, but I can't get enough Doppler. I'll go on Weather.com
and look at the 600 mile map, then the 300 mile...and, cool, check it out, New York City has a 100 mile closeup Doppler, too! What's that? Another front is moving in, say, around Thursday? The temperatures will stay in the 60s all week....hmm. Good to know.
My ex-roomie, Rick, used to think I was crazy because sometimes I would watch The Weather Channel for two, sometimes three hours in a row. "Dude," he would say, calmly and rationally, "they repeat the same thing over and over...Why do you continue to watch it?" I would shift uneasily in my chair and mumble something like "It could change" or "You never know", but the truth was, I just enjoyed all of it - the high and low temperatures for the day, the thunderstorm and tornado forecasts, the drought alerts- and found the repetitive nature somehow reassuring. The anchors, too, have distinct personalities, and have gradually gotten hotter (looks-wise, not temperature) over the years, as the more haggard weather chicks have been sent packing and replaced with a brigade of bottled blondes, led by the perky Stephanie Abrams(I'd like to issue her a flash flood warning- just kidding) and the perpetually pregnant Sharon Resultan.
I could write about The Weather Channel all day - hang on, Local on the 8's is on...wow...cloudy and 70 on Friday, good to know- but the latest episode of Storm Stories is on RIGHT NOW. Gotta go!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zach, you are too funny. I can't get over this obsession. You missed your calling with meterology. Oh well, Maybe you can get your wife I saw on VH-1 to dress up as a weather girl. LOL

April 25, 2006 9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you love the Weather Channel, and I love that you posted about it. These make the greatest posts. I once posted about my love for typing.

December 19, 2006 5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home