Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Axl and Jim


Having just finished Stephen Davis' bio of Jim Morrison, it's pretty hard not to see the resemblance between Jim and this blog's occasional topic, one W. Axl Rose, who, like the late Doors singer, seems genetically incapable of staying out of trouble. If you have no idea what I'm referring to, click here. The traits these two wild childs (ok, it should be children) share - calm, thoughtful, reflective natures mixed with cruelty, violence, anger and a shocking level of self-centeredness, all topped off with a liberal dose of substance abuse/self-medication - are truly remarkable. And it also answers a question that has bothered me my whole artistic life - how come I have never achieved greatness?
The answer? Four simple words: just...not...crazy...enough.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows, maybe they will make a movie about Axl Rose years from now---with Oliver Stone directing. Val Kilmer played Jim Morrison in 1991's "The Doors"--- I wonder who would play Axl if they did a movie about him and the band!

June 28, 2006 4:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know. Crazy is dangerous and a burden for the people around you. Greatness isn't so great when your greatness is only how you exist in relation to your art. If your failing miserably in your personal, everyday life... then your truly not achieving anything great. Your achieving hoserdom.

Ahaha! I just wanted to write the word hoserdom!

July 02, 2006 11:03 PM  
Blogger ACE said...

Zach-
I think it all depends on how you define greatness. Greatness can be many things to many people. Fame, fortune, creating legacy. But for me, loving my husband and cultivating a life that I feel fulfilled within, that is greatness to me. What about you?

July 03, 2006 1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you the same Ace from American Idol?

July 10, 2006 5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

compared with most of the people, u really have achieved something great!!if not, how come oversea people like me know u and like u?and i think u r enjoying ur life reflected in ur blog..that's already been kind of greatness!


anyway,always surporting u!!

March 06, 2007 10:26 AM  
Anonymous Joseph Wolfe said...

Thank you for sharingg this

February 01, 2024 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home